Home Events As Your Housing Needs Change, Give FEMA a Call

As Your Housing Needs Change, Give FEMA a Call

BIRMINGHAM, AL – June 8, 2011 – (RealEstateRama) — Are you living in a tent or camper on your property? Are you still staying in your damaged home? Or is living with relatives after the tornadoes not working out?

Regardless of your initial plans when you registered with the Federal Emergency Management Agency for disaster assistance, you may still be eligible for temporary housing help.

If you’ve changed your mind about not relocating, call the FEMA helpline at 800-621-3362 or the TTY number at 800-462-7585 for people who are deaf or hard of hearing. You can also update FEMA by visiting a disaster recovery center.

FEMA may be able to help if you are underinsured, have no insurance or a homeowner’s policy that does not cover additional living expenses.

If you have additional living expenses as part of your insurance policy, but can’t find a place to rent because of widespread devastation, FEMA may be able to help find a rental or put you in manufactured housing as a last resort. FEMA cannot duplicate insurance benefits, so any living expenses you receive from insurance would be paid back to the agency.

Survivors in the counties designated by the presidential disaster declaration who haven’t registered for assistance are urged to do so by the June 27 registration deadline.

You can register using the following methods:

  • By phone, call 800-621-FEMA (3362) from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., local time. Assistance is available in many languages. The TTY number is 800-462-7585.
  • By smartphone or tablet, use m.fema.gov.
  • By computer, go online to www.DisasterAssistance.gov.

Anyone with questions about their application or where they are in the process should call the FEMA helpline (800-621-3362/TTY 800-462-7585) or visit a recovery center.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.

The social media links provided are for reference only. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

FEMA’s temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.

# # #

For more information on Alabama’s disaster recovery, visit www.fema.gov or http://www.ema.alabama.gov/.

For the joint Facebook page, go to www.facebook.com/AlabamaEMA. To receive Twitter updates: http://twitter.com/AlabamaEMA or www.twitter.com/femaregion4.