Home Housing & Development Housing Expo Comes to Jefferson County for Tornado Survivors

Housing Expo Comes to Jefferson County for Tornado Survivors

BIRMINGHAM, AL – July 18, 2011 – (RealEstateRama) — Tornado survivors can get answers on how to plan and accomplish their permanent housing goals at a Housing and Recovery Expo in Jefferson County on Saturday, July 23.

Many Alabamians still recovering from the spring tornadoes continue to receive federal housing assistance. By law, housing assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency in Alabama is temporary. Returning to a permanent home is an important milestone on the road to recovery. The expo is designed to help survivors reach that goal as quickly as possible.

The State of Alabama Housing Task Force, working with the Alabama Emergency Management Agency and FEMA, is presenting the expo. The event will also include participation from community businesses, voluntary organizations, the U.S. Small Business Administration, and other state and federal agencies.

Attendees may also expect assistance regarding:

  • Banking;
  • Crisis counseling;
  • Foreclosures;
  • Fraud counseling;
  • Insurance concerns;
  • Legal aid; and
  • Rebuilding.

The Jefferson County Housing and Recovery Expo will take place from 12:30 to 5 p.m. on July 23 at:

South Hampton Elementary School
565 Sheridan Road
Birmingham, AL 35214

Please contact Alabama EMA at 205-280-2275 for more information about the expo.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). If you have a speech disability or hearing loss and use a TTY, call 800-462-7585 directly; if you use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 800-621-3362.

The social media links provided are for reference only. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

FEMA’s temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.